AIRLINK FLIGHTS TO POLOKWANE SUSPENDED DUE TO AIRPORT NON-COMPLIANCE
7 April 2021 – Airlink, the privately-owned and independent regional airline, regrets to advise of the suspension of its Polokwane services with immediate effect.
The South African Civil Aviation Authority (“SACAA”) advised last night that with immediate effect the Polokwane airport had been de-categorized to CAT2 which is below the minimum level required for scheduled commercial air services. The current status of the airport presents as an operational safety concern and it would be illegal to operate scheduled services at the airport. It is regrettable that the airport did not advise Airlink of the impending threat of de-categorization and its inability to provide the minimum level of emergency services required to maintain its aerodrome license category.
Airlink has explored all options including the possibility of operating at the “Pietersburg Civil” aerodrome, which also offers no rescue fire fighting services and therefore is unable to accept scheduled commercial flights.
Airlink management will work with Polokwane airport management to establish when the airport will address its non-compliances and regain the minimum category required to accommodate schedule commercial air services.
In the circumstances, unfortunately and most regrettably, Airlink has had to cancel its services today. We are unable to ascertain at this stage whether the airport will meet the minimum requirements for future services. Customers will be contacted directly, and an update will be provided as soon as Airlink receives more information from the Polokwane airport.
“We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience caused by the suspension of this service. Customers holding confirmed tickets on the cancelled flights should contact their booking agent, tour operator or Airlink Reservations on 011 451 7300 and for refunds email 4Zonlinerefunds@flyairlink.com” said Airlink CEO and Managing Director, Rodger Foster.
Scheduled Flights and Road Transfers:
There are DAILY flights between O.R. Tambo International Airport (Johannesburg) and Polokwane Airport and the option of a road transfer from Polokwane to Mashatu.
JNB – Johannesburg International Airport
PTG – Polokwane Airport (previously Pietersburg)
APPROX. TRAVEL TIMES:
Airlink – 1 hour
Road transfer – 2 hours from Polokwane
Road transfer – 6 hours from Johannesburg
Suggested flights To / From Polokwane from 1 March 2021 onwards:
To Polokwane (Mon to Sun)
From Polokwane (Mon to Fri & Sun)
|4Z809||JNB 10h45||PTG 11h35||4Z816||PTG 18h00||JNB 19h05|
* 4Z810 flight on Saturdays departs PTG 11h55 arriving JNB 12h50
The above flight times and codes are subject to change. Kindly confirm with SA Airlink as may change their scheduled flights from time to time.
SA Airlink 2021: ZAR 3 932.50 one way per person
The connecting transfer cost for the road transfer will be as follows:
Road transfer 2021 / 2022 : ZAR 5 170.00 nett per vehicle one way. (1-9 passengers)
Please note that additional flights are available on the Johannesburg / Polokwane route. However we are only able to offer the above fares based on the above flight times. Any flights outside of these times will incur additional costs based on the number of guests travelling in the party.
Road transfers off the afternoon Airlink flights from Johannesburg are not recommended. The border opens at 08h00 and closes STRICTLY at 16h00 and guests will NOT be able to enter Botswana.
- Please note that the Pont Drift Border Post opens at 08h00 and closes at 16h00. These times are strictly enforced.
- Should the Limpopo River be in flood, transfer across the river into / out of Botswana is made by cable car at an additional cost of BWP65.00 per person per crossing and BWP125.00 per load per crossing for luggage payable on checkout at camp for 2021, 2022 and 2023 – one way.
- Mashatu Game Reserve utilizes the services of other companies to provide the transport detailed above. As a result, Mashatu Game Reserves cannot be held responsible should for any rate changes dictated by the third parties concerned (SA Airlink and Copper Sun).
- The Airlink flight schedule is subject to change without notice and we can not be held responsible for any flight time changes.
- Please note that transfer quotes are strictly based on current prices and exclude fuel surcharges which might be levied due to excessive fuel/ market-related price increases – they are subject to change without notice.
- On completing Botswana immigration formalities clients will be transported via a transport vehicle for up to 60 minutes to respective camps. Please note that this transfer is done in an open safari vehicle.
The Airlink flight schedule is subject to change without notice and we cannot be held responsible for any flight schedule or time changes.
Please note that transfer quotes are strictly based on current prices and exclude fuel surcharges which might be levied due to excessive fuel/market related price increases – they are subject to change without notice.
Click here for road transfer information and rates from OR Tambo International, Johannesburg.